Change of bed linen and underwear after getting wet as a result of hygiene procedures, as well as pollution for various reasons occurs in several ways. To begin with it is worth recalling that the laundry should be free from rough seams, fasteners and scars on the side touching the patient's body, because they injure the skin.
Replacement of linen in a recumbent patient occurs weekly, and with profuse perspiration, uncontrolled urination and defecation - more often.
Technique for changing bed and underwear
If the patient is assigned bed rest, and with the permission of the doctor, he moves, then with the help of an assistant, he can perfectly handle it himself. In the case when the patient is allowed to sit, he is transplanted with the help of a nurse to a chair, and the change of bed linen and underwear takes place without much difficulty.
When spreading, the formation of wrinkles should be avoided, and the edges of a well-stretched sheet should be filled. With abundant discharge from the patient's wound, it is reasonable to lay the oilcloth under the sheet.
If you can not get up and move, the patient has to resort to outside help, and here there are some difficulties when replacing the laundry, requiring special attention.
The procedure must be prepared, providing everything you need: a set of clean bedding, a bag for dirty laundry, put on gloves, a robe.
It is more convenient if the change of bed linen and underwear is performed by two people. Most often two methods are used:
• vertical (with complete immobility of the patient);
• horizontal (if the patient can turn in bed).
Having prepared everything you need, you need to establish contact with the patient, explaining the sequence of actions and gaining his consent to the upcoming manipulations. After that you can proceed to the procedure.
When it is necessary to change the bed linen and bed linen, the algorithm of actions with complete immobility of the patient looks like this:
1. Change the duvet cover and pillowcase.
2. Beat up the pillows, put the blanket and pillows on the bedside chair.
3. Roll a blank sheet over the width with a platen.
4. Assistant, lifting, supports the head and shoulders of the patient.
5. Roll very quickly the dirty sheet to the waist of the patient, and in its place to decompose the clean.
6. Pillows are laid, the patient's head is lowered.
7. The legs and pelvis of the patient are raised.
8. The dirty sheet folds quickly, a clean sheet rolls into its place.
9. Lower limbs of the patient are lowered.
10. The sheet is stretched, carefully straightening around the edges, and the sheet is refueled under the mattress.
11. Dirty linen in a bag, remove gloves.
12. Cover the patient.
If the patient is able to turn in the bed, a horizontal method of replacing the laundry is applied, which can be started only by establishing a confidential contact with the patient and arranging for him explanations about the actions to be performed.
How is the change of bed linen and clothes? An algorithm of action will help to avoid mistakes.
1. Prepare everything you need: fresh linen, clean gown, gloves and a container for used clothes.
2. Roll off the prepared blank sheet with a platen along the length, and replace the blanket.
3. Raise the patient's head, remove the pillows.
4. Change the pillowcases, put the pillows on the chair.
5. Carefully turn the patient on its side, pull it to itself, to the edge of the bed.
6. Quickly fold the dirty, and in its place to spread a fresh sheet.
7. Carefully turn the patient over to the other side, placing it on a fresh sheet.
8. Minimize the dirty sheet, and spread the vacant place clean.
9. Turn the patient over to the back.
10. Fasten the edges of the stretched sheet under the mattress.
11. Dirty linen should be packed in a bag, remove gloves.
12. Cover the patient with a blanket.
Replacement of underwear
To change the bed and bed linen seriously ill patient was successful, you must follow the recommendations.
• Pajamas should be spacious, made of natural materials that absorb moisture easily and do not cause irritation.
• To remove the shirt, it is necessary to gently wrap the edge of clothing to the gate, and bring the patient's hands up. He removes his shirt over his head, freeing the patient's hands.
• Wear first on your hands, then throwing on your head, lowering your shirt over the edges along the trunk down.
• To replace trousers, raise the patient's sacrum and gently pull the trousers down, freeing the legs. If there is a clasp, then first unfasten it, but most often in pajamas provided with an elastic band, which greatly facilitates the procedure.
To change bed linen and underwear caused the patient a minimum inconvenience, it is necessary:
• Matching the size of bed linen and mattress.
• Velcro, elastic on the edge of the sheet for better fixation.
• Pillows should not be made of feathers and down, but of synthetic material (microfiber or sintepon).
• The oilcloth should be soft and wash daily.
• Wash linens without chlorine-containing products and iron on both sides.
If you follow these recommendations, the patient will be delivered a minimum of inconveniences, which will greatly ease his suffering.