When the tooth is very sore and pulsing for a long time, such feelings become almost unbearable. A strong ripple in the dental canals makes you urgently run to the doctor. But what if a dental visit is impossible due to circumstances? How to determine why the tooth pulsates? What can be done to eliminate discomfort? We will try to answer these and other questions later in the article.
What diseases can be indicated by throbbing pain?
If the tooth pulsates, it can talk about the development of the following inflammatory processes in the tissues:
- Caries - a deep form can cause short-term attacks of throbbing pain in response to consuming hot or cold, sour or sweet food.
- Acute pulpitis - develops against the background of a wide spread of pathological microorganisms in the dental canals. In this case, pulsation is most acutely felt when taking a lying position, in particular when preparing for bed. Acute attacks of pulsating pain alternate with short periods of complete relief.
- Acute periodontitis is an inflammatory process that occurs in the area of the apex of the root of the tooth. In this case, it is especially pulsating under the tooth, if you press on it. The intensity of discomfort increases with the use of hot food or drink.
Sensation of pulsation under the seal
What to do if the tooth is pulsing under the seal? Such a sensation may occur if a temporary seal is inserted. The latter is used when it is necessary to kill the nerve with special preparations. The chemical components of the "medicine", embedded under the temporary seal, can provoke pulsation. Typically, minor pain of the character presented is observed for several days after the procedure. Run to the dentist previously assigned to them the date is necessary if the throbbing pain under the temporary filling does not abate after two days.
Pulsating pain after tooth extraction
What should I do if there is severe discomfort after a tooth extraction operation? To ease your own condition and prevent possible complications, you should follow the following recommendations:
- Try not to touch or remove the cotton swab that the dentist put into the gaping wound left after removing the tooth. You can retrieve it after passing the hour after the completion of the procedure.
- After removing the cotton swab, do not disturb the wound with tongue. It is recommended that you chew your food in such a way that you do not injure the area where the tooth was removed.
- To alleviate the throbbing pain, it is necessary to attach a bag of ice to the jaw.
- Do not try to remove the blood clot that formed in the wound. Such actions can increase the healing time of the wound and, as a result, make the pain of pulsating pain last longer.
- If the removed tooth pulsates, it is necessary to postpone the intake of food after the operation for 2-3 hours. The absence of pressure on the injured area will relieve discomfort.
- In order not to provoke the emergence of pulsating pain, it is worth refraining from eating too hot and cold food or drinking for several days.
- If the dentist recommended rinsing the oral cavity after the operation to remove the tooth, do not resort to such actions until the wound in the dental canal is clogged with a blood clot.
- In cases where the tooth pulsates after its removal, and the discomfort is simply unbearable and does not disappear for a long time, it is worthwhile to see a doctor. Perhaps, mistakes were made during the operation or complications occur.
Pulsation without pain
Why does the tooth pulsate without pain? This phenomenon is observed when the periodontal lesion is damaged. The nerves surrounding the nerve become inflamed, which causes an unpleasant symptom.
The tooth can pulsate without pain, also with inflammation of the root system. Especially the reaction is manifested with general malaise or supercooling of the body.
Sensation of pulsation under the crown
Attacks of pulsating pain can occur in the case of poor removal of nerve remains when installing crowns. The source of discomfort can also be getting the infection into the canals during a period of mechanical cleansing or rinsing during a prosthetic operation. If there is a ripple under the crown, it is worth once again to register for an examination with a doctor. After the neglect of the problem can lead to tooth loss.
How to eliminate throbbing pain?
In case of acute, unbearable pulsation, it is worth to visit the dentist immediately. But what if the discomfort is taken by surprise in a situation where there is no way to get to a doctor in the near future? To eliminate discomfort, in such situations it is worth taking painkillers. This will allow you to endure discomfort and wait for the moment when it will be possible to appear to a specialist.
If there is a moderate pulsating toothache, you can resort to the following medications:
These drugs can remove discomfort for several hours. When attacks of pulsating pain are of high intensity, stronger drugs may be required. Help to remove the significant discomfort are capable of such drugs as:
It is worth noting that with unbearable pulsating pain it is much more effective to make an anesthetic injection than to take strong medicines. Ultimately, it is important to understand that the above drugs only help to temporarily mask the attacks of pain, alleviating the general condition, but do not eliminate the underlying cause. If, after taking medication, throbbing pain does not return, it is necessary to visit the dentist at the first opportunity.
As can be seen, the emergence of pulsating pain in the tooth may indicate the development of a number of dental diseases. When such feelings arise, self-medication, in particular the use of folk remedies, is unacceptable. It is strictly forbidden to impose warming compresses on the problem area. To eliminate discomfort, it is acceptable to use an ice bag, as well as taking anesthetic preparations of a nonsteroid group that have an anti-inflammatory effect. After relief, it is necessary to make an appointment with a doctor, which will reveal the cause of the pain.