Scientists have proven that an allergy to metal is an overly common skin disease and occurs in about 10% of people. This diagnosis, you see, sounds very exotic. But still brings a lot of unpleasant sensations is the above-mentioned allergy to metal. Gold and silver, metal buckle belt, cash coins, zippers on fashionable jeans - all this can provide any person inconvenience and significant trouble. Where does this disease come from? Let's try to figure it out!
Allergic contact dermatitis: what is it
The above disease is called a disease of our time. Of course, pure silver and gold do not cause allergies. But today, these products are increasingly being enriched with impurities of such metals, which cause allergic contact dermatitis. It:
Allergens can collect in the body for a long time and at the same time cause an undesirable "conflict situation" with the skin. In addition to unpleasant signs on the skin, allergic contact dermatitis can be accompanied by headaches, edema, problems with the work of the digestive tract.
Allergy to metal: causes
According to statistics, it is residents of industrial cities who are exposed to the abovementioned disease more than residents of suburban areas or rural areas.
Interestingly, an allergy to metal may not show its symptoms for years. The delayed allergen is often caused by the following factors:
- the state of the immune system;
- activity of the allergen-stimulus;
- age of the patient;
- individual sensitivity to the allergen.
The reasons that cause allergic contact dermatitis - this is primarily a long contact with the metal-stimulus. Cells of the body under the influence of this substance over time change its chemical composition. Then they begin to be perceived by the human body as harmful, there is a protective reaction to them.
Experts say that another important reason for the allergy to the metal is the weakening of the body by frequent stresses, overwork, irritability. It is these phenomena that create excellent preconditions for the development of the aforementioned disease.
Symptoms of allergic reactions to the metal
- an unbearable itch;
- temperature increase;
- rash on the skin;
- keratinization of the upper layer of the epidermis and skin peeling;
- the formation of redness, which often resembles its appearance as a burn.
If the symptoms of the above illness are diagnosed in a timely manner and the course of therapy is not started, then over time the metal allergy only aggravates the health situation of the patients.
A hidden threat to the human body in this direction is represented by such elements of clothing as buckles from bras, metal buttons and fasteners.
Prosthetics and the manifestation of an allergic reaction
Allergy to metals in dentistry - a frequent phenomenon. It is manifested by the following symptoms:
- occurrence of signs of stomatitis;
- regular pain in the oral cavity;
- presence of metallic taste in the mouth;
- observation of redness and erosion of the tongue;
- inflammation of the gums and lips.
Therefore, dentists when finding allergies to metal in the patient apply special metal crowns: zirconia-ceramic, gold-ceramic, titanic-ceramic. The first material is very heavy. The second two are very expensive. But when there is no way out, dentists insist on their application, and then the patient has to settle for such inconveniences.
Sometimes, dentists point out, the allergy to metal can be provoked by the fact that there are several kinds of such material in the mouth, between which a kind of "conflict" may arise over time. Therefore, doctors of this category try to determine the patient's propensity to such phenomena with the help of special apparatuses before the beginning of prosthetics.
Allergy to metal: treatment
Symptoms of the above disease are successfully eliminated with the help of medications. Antihistamines include:
Experts warn: it is dangerous for one's health to use the above-mentioned drugs on their own without the doctor's appointment! Only a doctor can correctly determine the true causes of allergic contact dermatitis and choose the necessary dosage of the medication taking into account the individual characteristics of the organism of the individual patient.
The role of proper nutrition in the event of allergic reactions to the metal
When observing the symptoms of the aforementioned disease, special attention should be paid to the correct composition of your daily diet. Nutrition for allergy sufferers plays a crucial role. First of all, experts strongly recommend not to eat foods that can cross-react with an irritating allergen such as nickel.
A short list of ingredients that are desirable to exclude from the diet people who are allergic to metals:
It is also important not to cook food in a dish of nickel, because the accumulation of the above metal in the body of this category of people is strictly contraindicated. In addition, it is recommended to abandon the use of conservation of both industrial and domestic production.
Folk methods of treatment of allergic reactions to the metal
Of course, our grandmothers did not know what diagnostics and homeopathy were all about metal, but they knew how to treat it. Therefore, in the first aid kit of Russian healers there are always several effective methods available that can eliminate the symptoms of the aforementioned disease.
Healers of alternative medicine offer to treat allergic dermatitis on the metal with the help of the following means:
- use lotions from natural fresh cucumber or apple juice (products must be grown at home);
- apply compresses of freshly squeezed juice from potatoes;
- apply to the affected skin areas home fatty sour cream or butter;
- use tinctures from St. John's wort or oak bark.
But remember that before applying the above methods to treat allergic dermatitis on the metal, it is important to consult an experienced practitioner. After all, any herb can aggravate your health, because it can be your potential allergen.
How to avoid the appearance of allergic reactions to the metal
There are several recommendations that will help prevent the occurrence of allergic reactions to the metal:
- Buy ornaments from silver and gold necessarily without admixtures of nickel in the composition.
- Remember that the period of wearing products from the above metals also has its limitations.
- Before going to bed it is recommended to take off all the jewelry. This is done for two reasons. The first: for cleaning the products themselves in the energy plan. The second: to prevent the occurrence of allergic dermatitis on the skin.
- When observing the appearance of symptoms of allergy to metal, it is important to alternate wearing silver and gold jewelry.
- Avoid stress and fatigue, irritation and body strain. After all, it is against their backdrop that many changes develop that cause the appearance of various allergic reactions, including metal.
- Eliminate synthetic clothing from your wardrobe. Also, do not use non-natural powders.
Experts note that people prone to allergic dermatitis on metal, it is undesirable to visit saunas, as well as a bath. After showering, it is always recommended to moisturize the skin with a special nourishing cream.
Test for allergy
Allergy to metal always brings a lot of inconvenience. Therefore, in order to determine in time the propensity of your body for the appearance of allergic dermatitis, it is important to carry out an allergy test yourself. It is made according to the following recommendations:
- If the body already has symptoms of an allergic reaction, an allergy test is not done. It is important to wait until they disappear completely.
- After this, take a product that is suspected of causing discomfort, and attach it to the skin of the forearm. It is recommended to wear this item for about three days.
- Remove the above bandage for the night.
Experts say that three days is enough to show allergy to the metal. This can happen before.
A serious disease is allergic to metal. Causes, symptoms and treatment for each person are individual. Experts do not recommend delaying therapy of the above-mentioned disease. After all, this disease can create favorable conditions for the development of other problems with human health.